Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sam-Yi's Birthday

Tomorrow is my sister's birthday, whom our daughter addresses as "Sam-Yi" (pronounced "sahm yee"). Translated from Chinese, it means Auntie with significance as to her specific relationship. It was celebrated at her home this past Saturday. I went with the baby, as Derek had some work he really wanted to get done. Also, with the recent passing of his grandmother, he just wanted some quiet time.

Jessica wanted to stay home in case her new boyfriend called. Yes, she's only been here one month and attending school for two weeks and she's already gotten herself a beau. Derek's still working on the short list of axes. If you don't remember why, see here.

This was the second time my sister has had a party over at her place and the first visit for many of her friends to see where she lives. (and she's lived there 9 years!) The last one was many years ago and was for our cousin Wes' birthday. I was in charge of ordering his cake. It was pink ...and I mean very pink. It wasn't intentional... Honestly! I forgot that this particular bakery always did a pink frosting for their strawberry filled cakes, unless you specifically request otherwise... in advance. and I still feel kind of sorry for all the ribbing he got for it. Just kind of.

But I digress. This is about my sister's birthday.



That's Chad and Chau in the background.

Juliana had a lot of fun meeting and playing with so many new people. Here she is with Anmari and Tobias.


And here is Alli with her son Ryder, who was born 4.5 months before Juliana. He looks just like his father Dave.

Isn't Alli's hair a lovely shade of red? Ryder is a very sensitive and sweet little boy. At one point in the evening, he went over to Juliana and gave her a kiss on the cheek. All the (female) adults around went "awwwww" and scared Ryder. He looked so sad and had the quivering lower lip going. Poor thing!

Alli and Dave's other son, Anthony, took this picture of the birthday girl while she was opening presents:
That's Stacy (sp?) in the background, in case you're wondering. I didn't post any full pictures with Chad and Chau, because Chau is 10 days from her delivery due date. Now, when I was pregnant, I saw quite a few pictures of myself and I thought I looked okay. I didn't gain anything more than the normal weight gain that those pregnancy experts tout, but I gained it all over and not in any one particular area. Now that I have lost the pregnancy weight and then some, I look at those same pictures and think "Oh my gosh! I was HUGE!!!" So, as to not scare, offend, or induce Chau into labor from the shock, I am refraining from putting any pictures of her up here in the expectant state unless I get her explicit permission .... and maybe a signed waiver to not harm my person.

Happy birthday, Sis! Hopefully the evening wasn't so traumatizing that it will be another 9 years before you invite anyone else over to your place for the evening.

And just to provide a little bit of cringe for Jessica, here is a picture of Juliana trying to use her as a teether this weekend.

I think Jessica is starting to get used to the drool. And Derek thinks she (Jessica) looks just like Mitchell in this picture.





3 comments:

Scott said...

Nice blog you've got going here, Ivy. Thanks for the generous descriptions! I agree w/ Derek: Jess does look just like her brother her. If Derek is looking for the finest in axery, I suggest here:
http://www.elinemerchandising.com/UC1415.html

Ivy said...

Thanks for the link :)

I've let Derek know about this, so I'm sure he'll be checking it out. ;)

Anonymous said...

Nice site, Ivy. I love the pics and commentaries. Thank you. I imagine it has to be quite a change for you to have a newborn and new teenager come into your home all at once. I admire you for being able to do that. You have a very big heaat.