
She's a beautiful young lady, yes? She doesn't like having impromptu pictures taken, and I seem to recall feeling the same way when I was a teenager. But like my parents did to me, I feel obligated to capture a few. It just wouldn't do to let those awkward teen years go by without providing some reminder with that element of cringe when we look back at this in 10 or 20 years. Right? I mean, I wouldn't want to be remiss in this with her mom so far away and her father not always thinking about these important little details while he thinks on what kind of axe to get. (you'll understand in a minute)
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when she moved in, but she's been wonderful to have around. She's attending the local high school and is fast making new friends. We got her a cell phone when she moved up here and, most afternoons and evenings, she is constantly texting either some new friends here or some old friends in Utah (or both at the same time). Good thing I added the unlimited texting to our family plan!
Derek has been having a slightly harder adjustment in some ways. Where before he would hear about her friends, dates and other activities from afar, he now finds himself being more protective of her. (I think it was in there all along, but was futile to express much of it from hundreds of miles away) So, he's stipulated that she can go to parties or visit with (boy)friends, but that as her father, he retains the right to suddenly drop by with an axe. He reasons that if there is nothing untoward going on, then the boys have nothing to worry about. You can't fault his logic...
I have to say, though, that I am proud of Derek. Whenever Jessica has come home with Algebra homework, Derek has sat down with her in the evening to coach her through the assignments. For being a subject that she claims to not understand, she got a B+ on her first quiz of the semester! Go, Jess!
1 comment:
That's a great picture of her. And I'm so glad to hear that things are going so well.
Post a Comment