Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Snow

We're probably now towards the end of "the biggest snowstorm the Northwest has seen in over a decade". Ten inches of accumulated snow on our back deck (not counting the snow that has already been blown away and the compression of the snow under it's own weight). And it started snowing again this morning.

Now it isn't anywhere near the amounts my brother-in-law and his wife are experiencing in South Dakota, but for parts around here... it's big. Just check out the snow drifts against our front doors.

Ours:

Theirs (now keep in mind that their front door is elevated above ground level):



I can't say I'm upset, though. For the most part, the winds haven't been too bad here and it's rather peaceful outside.... at least until you get to the main streets. Then it's just a muddy, slushy, icy mess. Which is why I've been avoiding the roads and didn't leave the house for 5 days (except to check the mail). However, mostly it is because Derek forbade me to drive in this weather. But we're starting to run low on food supplies, so I will have to venture forth once again into the powdery white snow.

It has been rather peaceful here with the snow all around, and being set back from the main road, we don't hear or see the traffic. This past weekend, Derek made a snowball and threw it at the railing on the deck. A most momentous occasion, Derek had to take a picture for posterity.


The snow was probably around 8 inches high and this was after Jessica did her late night frolic on the balcony, sweeping snow off the railing and tromping down the snow on the deck. Otherwise, it would have been 12 ... no.. 14 inches high. At least. In fact, it would probably have been as tall as Jojo.


"Meow!"

Ok... well... hmmm... Jo doesn't look so tall here. Must be because she's hunching over, trying to get away from the cold. She must not have liked it when Derek tossed her into the snow on the balcony. He said she did the whole Roadrunner pedaling feet thing trying to dig out of it and get back in the house.

Anyhow, where was I? Oh, yes... since we had more snow this morning, this is what it looks like now:


Derek says Mother Nature is in awe of his accomplishment and doesn't dare disrespect him by blowing the snow away or completely covering it with more snow. (This is where I smile and nod my head "Yes, dear")

One thing I do like about snowy winters, is when snow settles on the branches of the trees.

It just looks so lovely and peaceful. Until the branches get so overloaded, that the branches break or the tree topples or ... let's just not go there right now, shall we?

In uploading all these pictures we took this week, I stumbled upon a few pictures from the boys' visit this summer that I had forgotten about. I just love finding hidden treasures, don't you?

The day before the boys flew home, they were packing up their things and Juliana was following them and digging through their clothing. Mitch decided to see what she looked like in one of his shirts.

They also, dressed her in one of their hoodies, which made her look like a Jawa trader from Star Wars, but she wouldn't stay still for any pictures. Ah well.

The day after the boys left, Juliana went into the room they stayed in, and walked over to the mattress Jonah slept on.


"Jonah? Are you under there?"

"Jonah was scared away by my expert wrestling moves. Rar!"

It was very cute to see... I think she missed them already. She was patting his mattress and looking at me with a puzzled look. It will be good to see them again.


4 comments:

ScrapBox Organization & Storage said...

What a sweet little face! We had more snow today too--had to go do a little sledding. So much for global warming!

Jennifer said...

HEY!!! My front door is on your blog! cool. Any huge snow is a bad thing in my book. Snow drifts are fun to look at...in pictures only. But I must admit that I do like to look at the after effects of snow, it is really beautiful. Then after awhile I'm ready for it to all go away.

Cute pictures that you found of the kids.

Anonymous said...

I love those pics of the boys and Juliana. She really does look like she is searching for Jonah. How sweet she looks.

jaymie said...

why is hide and seek such a hit?! looks cold.