Saturday, October 16, 2010

Another bedtime story...

Tonight, as we were getting settled in for our bedtime routine...

Juliana:  Ok you need to tell me a bedtime story
Me:  Hmm... There was once a girl and it was time for her to go to bed.  So she crawled into bed and fell asleep.  The End
J:  No.  A different story.
M:  Ok... There once was a girl named Juliana and it was time to go to bed.  So she climbed into bed and her Mommy read her a bedtime story and she fell asleep.  The End
J: No... a different story.
M: Like what kind of story?
J: Once there was a circle named Jeff.  He was ROUND like a circle. And he was a nut.  And he crawled under the bed.  One day he cracked...  CRACK!(splays fingers out in front of her)... like an egg.  The  End
M: (muffling laughter)  Can I go outside and tell Daddy your story?
J: Yep!

So I relay it to Daddy who runs into the bedroom and asks:
D: Can you tell me the story about the circle named Jeff?
J: No.
D: But I really wanted to hear it.
J: I already told it.
D: Oh, so you're not going to tell me?
J: Of course not... tomorrow.
D: Ok, well how about a hug?
*hugs*

7 comments:

sis said...

She definitely tells better stories than you, sis.

Ivy said...

Is that you?

sis said...

THAT was a terrible story. I should as Jing to tell me a story.

SLKBoy said...

What happens after he cracks? Does he get help? Is he destined to live under the bed in shame? These questions need answers. I need answers. This is going to keep me up all night. By the way, did you know that your tongue is hollow and if you... :P

sis said...

Bad Brother. She said "the End" so that means that is it. It's a narrative. She obviously feels the meanings are pervasive and that no additional explanation is needed. I find it profound and brilliant. I feel pain for Pete. He was so round... and now so cracked. Tragic.

sis said...

And by Pete, i mean Jeff. :)

Christel said...

Loved reading your comments and stories. What a neat way to share.
Thank you.