Thursday, June 3, 2010

Caribbean 2010, Part III (Belize)

Let's see... where was I...

Oh... we finished off with our first shore excursion out of Costa Maya, Mexico. 

You saw a few pictures of Juliana's and my excursion.  Below are a couple of pictures Kou-Fu took at the Mayan ruins that Derek visited.

DORK --Derek
(mouseover the photo above for Derek's response to this photo)


Maybe I can convince Derek to post his own impression of the excursion... although, I can't promise he'll do it.  But I'll try.  While he likes telling stories and entertaining people in person, it's really painful for him to type much even when he has to.

So back to the vacation pictures!

The next day brought us to Belize City, Belize.

Derek, Juliana and I signed up for a tour of the reefs on a "semi-submersible".  That's a fancy way of saying, "you're not really going to be in a submarine, but in a boat that has picture windows underwater and looks more like a little party barge up top".

We had to take a ship to a barge that the semi-submersible was tied off to.  We had some good speed going there and back and it made for some rather windy rides.


We loaded ourselves onto the semi-submersible, where it was comfortably cool below the water line, untied ourselves from the barge and proceeded to tour the reef.


Unfortunately, the visibility was rather low, because the currents were very active and stirring up the sand that day.  So while we were able to see some fish and coral, most of the pictures didn't turn out very well.

Here's one of some jackfish(?) we saw that swam right past the boat:


While it was only about 85 degrees F that day, it averaged 83% humidity, which made for a warmer-than-we're-used-to day.

After the excursion, we arrived back on the cruise ship, freshened up, grabbed a quick lunch and then hopped a tender to shore to check out the shops.

We asked Juliana if she was tired and wanted a nap before boarding the tender and, of course, she said "No". Not two minutes into the ride to shore, this was happening:


sleepy girl from Life & Other Plans on Vimeo.

To add to that day's excitement, after dinner, we found our rooms invaded by monkeys!



Ok... this really was the one hanging in the adjacent room, since Juliana assaulted the monkey in our room before I could get a picture taken. The room attendant used my brother's sunglasses as an additional prop, since he had left them in the room before dinner.

After all the excitement of the day, someone had no trouble going to sleep that night...


Next up, Cozumel (but not really--- you'll see what I mean).

No comments: