Sunday, May 11, 2008

My first Mothers' Day

What a day! Filled with family, food, fun and fanciful unicorns! Ok, maybe the unicorns were only in my head.

For a couple of weeks now, we have known that we would be having brunch with my mom, sister, and cousin and then a steak dinner at my cousin's place. All last week it's been "brunch on Sunday" this and "brunch at the Edgewater" that. Saturday night rolls around and I realize that I haven't the slightest clue as to what time we will be having brunch. So I text message my sister "What time is brunch tomorrow?" to which she responds "9:45". 9:45??? That's not brunch... that makes it breakfast! Ah well, no sleeping in for me (as if Juliana would allow that anyways). We get up and pack the baby and her accoutrements (that's Ah-COO-trey-mon, with the French accent, because she's down like that) and trek down to the Seattle waterfront. We (Daddy, Jessica and I - aka the Baby Entourage) are strictly there for baby, because everything is all about the baby. Everyone wants to see the baby and we're just fluff. But we're okay with that today, because there is food involved.

The breakfast/brunch/whatever buffet was pretty good overall and everyone ate way too much. Jessica was a little apprehensive when I told her this place is known for their seafood, because the last time we took her out for dinner at a (Chinese) seafood restaurant, jellyfish was served and she really wasn't looking forward to another course of that. Once I explained that it was a traditional American cuisine being served, she let out the biggest sigh of relief.

People have been asking for a current photo of Jessica and Juliana together, but Jessica usually protests. Today was no different. As soon as I pulled out the camera at the restaurant, Jessica started using her sister as a shield:


Have I ever mentioned how much I love my little sister?



You can tell Juliana got bored with this game rather quickly.

After about five clicks of the camera, Jessica gave up and relented to give us a grin (I had to resort to the - "it's Mothers' Day, so you have to do what I say" tactic and, amazingly, it worked):


Juliana just wanted that water glass and pondered possible means of achieving this.

After the meal was over, we parted ways with Mom, Sis and Cousin Wes until dinner. Once home, Jessica helped me prepare some coconut ice cream for tonight's dessert (we tag-teamed the preparation with entertaining the baby). We had just enough time to chill the base and get it churned before we had to head back out the door. (Daddy got in a long nap during all this - does this mean I get a nap on Father's Day?)

Dinner was relaxing and delicious, except for the intermittent squirming exhibited by Jessica. When visiting with other people, we've made it a rule that she can not text message until we're back in the car. The first time this rule was effected, she practically screamed bloody murder. Today she just got a little twitchy every now and then. Derek wanted to linger there a little longer, just to get Jessica properly riled up, but the baby was ready for bed, so we bid our adieus and trekked back home.

All in all, it was a rather nice first Mothers' Day.



2 comments:

Scott said...

Uh, this is my niece? This is a grown woman. Put my niece back on the line please!

Holy cow, Jessica!

Ivy said...

Derek laments how she broke her promise to stop growing when she was 6 years old.